The Lakewood Police Department would like football fans to enjoy watching Super Bowl LII with family and friends. We would also like everyone to be responsible and to stay safe. Here are some SUPER BOWL SAFETY TIPS from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
If you are attending a Super Bowl Party:
- Avoid drinking alcohol too fast. You should pace yourself – eat, take breaks, alternate with non-alcoholic drinks.
- Designate your sober driver before the party begins and give that person your vehicle keys.
- If impaired, do not think about getting behind the wheel. Ask a friend that is sober for a ride home, call a cab, friend or family member to come and get you, or stay where you are until you are sober.
- Remember; Friends Don’t Let Friends Drive Drunk. Take the keys and never let a friend leave your sight if you think they are about to drive while intoxicated.
If you are hosting a Super Bowl Party:
- Serve lots of food – particularly high-protein dishes – and be sure to include lots of non-alcoholic beverages.
- Stop serving alcohol at the beginning of the third quarter of the game – begin serving coffee and dessert.
- Be sure all of your guests designate their drivers in advance, or help arrange ride-sharing with sober drivers.
- Keep the numbers for local cab companies handy, and take the keys away from anyone who is thinking of driving while impaired.