LAKEWOOD ORI: NJ0151400
Attention to ALL APPLICANTS, after July 5, 2022, the following law pertains to you:
Under the New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice, 2C:58-3 (c) (11) and (d),
In order to obtain a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card, the applicant shall demonstrate that, within four years prior to the date of the application, the applicant satisfactorily completed a course of instruction approved by the superintendent in the lawful and safe handling and storage of firearms. The applicant shall be required to demonstrate completion of a course of instruction only once prior to obtaining either a firearms purchaser identification card or the applicant’s first permit to purchase a handgun.
The applicant shall not be required to demonstrate completion of a course of instruction in order to obtain any subsequent permit to purchase a handgun, to replace an existing firearms purchaser identification card, or to renew a firearms purchaser identification card.
The Lakewood Police Department requires the following fees for all applications:
ID Card: $50.00
Permit to Purchase: $25.00
These fees MUST be received before the Lakewood Police Firearms Unit will begin your Firearms Background Investigation.
You may come to the Lakewood Police Department Records Office, Monday thru Friday, between the hours of 9:15am to 4:45pm. CHECK OR EXACT CHANGE ONLY. You may also mail a check to:
Lakewood Police Department
ATTENTION: RECORDS DEPARTMENT
231 3rd Street
Lakewood, NJ 08701
Firearms Application Information is available at https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/Fars/Form33/OriValidation
Enter NJ0151400 in the ORI Number Field.
Permit to Carry a Handgun Instructions
Scroll down to S.P. 642, Permit to Carry (THIS IS A FILLABLE PDF FORM)
View the Permit to Carry Instructions
***************MUST USE THE MOST CURRENT ”S.P. 642” FORM****************
PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
- Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card.
- TWO (2) State of New Jersey Applications For Permit to Carry A Handgun, FORM SP642. Must be double sided and notarized. BE SURE TO USE THE NEW FORM THAT INCLUDES FOUR (4) REFERENCES.
- Four (4) color passport size photographs.
- Consent for Mental Health Search, Form SP066.
- Written proof of ownership and qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying.
- Proof of ownership can be a purchase receipt or purchase permit or a notarized letter of ownership listing make, model, and serial number of handgun (s).
- Written qualification must be within six (6) months of application and must include Instructors Name and Certification Number, make, model, caliber and serial number of handgun(s) you intend to carry.
- Provide two separate MONEY ORDERS, one in the amount of $50.00 made out to: “Treasurer, State of New Jersey”, and the second in the amount of $150.00 made out to: “Lakewood Township Police Department”. MONEY ORDERS ONLY, NO PERSONAL CHECKS.
**IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT THE APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.
**THE REQUIRED WRITTEN FIREARMS QUALIFICATION, IN ACCORDANCE WITH N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(b) CAN BE OBTAINED AT MOST FIREARMS RANGES THROUGHOUT THE STATE.
**ALL APPLICANTS FOR PERMIT TO CARRY MUST BE FINGERPRINTED. DO NOT GET FINGERPRINTED PRIOR TO HANDING IN APPLICATION. YOU WILL BE PROVIDED WITH A CASE NUMBER AND SERVICE CODE BY LPD AFTER YOUR APPLICATION IS REVIEWED AND DEEMED COMPLETE. YOU CAN THEN PROVIDE THAT TO IDENTOGO.COM, AND SCHEDULE YOUR FINGERPRINT APPOINTMENT. Lakewood ORI code is NJ0151400, Service code is 2F164B
**A NEW JERSEY PERMIT TO CARRY IS VALID FOR TWO (2) YEARS FROM TIME OF APPROVAL.
Click here to download these instructions as a PDF for future reference.