Currently there is no vaccine to prevent COVID-19. To prevent illness in the best way is to avoid being exposed to this virus. In addition to social distancing, the health department recommends the following preventive actions to help the spread of respiratory diseases, including:
- Stay home when sick and avoid contact with people in poor health.
- Avoid touching one’s eyes, nose and mouth.
- Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing; if soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover cough or sneeze with a tissue, then dispose of the tissue.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
*Stay six feet away from other people, which lessens your chances of spreading or catching the coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, visit www.ochd.org or call the New Jersey hotline available around the clock for questions at 1-800-222-1222. The county health department has also set up a hotline number for residents questions regarding the coronavirus. The number is 732-341-9700 ext. 7411.