The whole family is over and your so excited to try out the new turkey fryer! Here’s some advice to follow for proper precautions:
- Thaw turkey BEFORE putting into the fryer
- Use turkey fryer outdoors, a safe distance from buildings
- Never use a turkey fryer in a garage or on a wooden deck
- Make sure fryer is on a flat surface to avoid spilling hot oil
- Never leave fryer unattended
- Most have a thermometer; oil will continue to heat until it starts on fire
- Do not overfill the fryer
- Use well-insulated potholders or oven mitts when touch pot or lid handles
- Wear safety goggles to protect eyes from oil splatter
- Always fry turkeys outdoors. Never fry them indoors.
- Always keep children, pets and elderly guests who may become distracted well away from the cooking area. Remember, you’re dealing with gallons of hot oil and an open flame
As conversations get distracting, and everyone is enjoying each other’s company, next thing anyone knows there’s a large grease fire! What to do?
- Do NOT use water to put out the fire (oil + water do not mix!)
- Use fire extinguisher to put out the fire